Tuesday 2 June 2015

Warmth and Happiness

What does the word 'Comfort' mean to you? for our group: warmth and happiness, whether that was a warm duvet, bath and bed, dressing gown and slippers, a nice comfy chair. Basic human needs, heart felt and very moving when shared by people some of whom will be sleeping rough tonight.


Words were translated into line drawings/diagrams, which were in turn embroidered onto fabric- to be made into a book at a latter date for the project The Homeless Library.  I was nervous about today's session,  how would the group respond to embroidery? I shouldn't have worried, everyone, joined in, including the volunteers.


"I've not done sewing for 20 years, I wasn't sure about it at first, but I've really enjoyed it, good fun- I'd recommend this.' Mark.

The session finished with requests to carry on the work another day.  Thanks to all the Booth Centre volunteers and Melanie for giving up their time today to help.


The wind is getting up, the rain is starting again. I'm going to appreciate my nice warm bed just a bit more tonight.

The Homeless Library is a project devised by arthur+martha to document the heritage of homelessness using interviews, artworks, poetry. It is supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.



No comments: